Day 32: Synthesizing Language in Lit Reviews
Lesson Objectives:- Understand the notion of "synthesis" and how it relates to Lit Reviews
- Identify some common vocabulary and structures that can be used to synthesize our sources
- Work on drafts of lit review, incorporating synthesis concept and language
Part I: Outline Work (20 min)
To begin today's class, I would like us to quickly look at the following "outline" of a the introduction section to the article we read for the summary critique. Click here on BASIC SAMPLE OUTLINE.
Now, pull up your draft that we worked on in the last class. You should have the first paragraph that "introduces" the topic started or completed. I will provide time to convert our charts into topic sentences. Under the topic sentence, provide the sources you will use. I will circulate to provide assistance. Remember that each Lit Review should have some form of a theme.
Part II: Synthesis Language (25 min)
Open up the document SYNTHESIS LANGUAGE HANDOUT and follow along as we go over the sample. Then I will ask you to work in pairs to identify more common structures/phrases used to compare/contrast sources. After 5-10 minutes, I will have you turn the paper and look to the sample phrases. Work together to complete the task by practicing putting in sample sentences. Be prepared to share your answers with the class.
Part III: Synthesis Language in Our Papers (15 min)
Look back to the outline/draft of your paper. In what ways to your sources under each topic go together? Are they similar, contrasting, or adding to each other? Using what we have seen with the synthesis language examples, work to create one or two sample sentences that combine two or more of your sources. Be prepared to share your answers with the class.
Homework: Your Literature Review is due Monday 4/8 before midnight. Come on Monday with a draft for workshop and peer review.
No comments:
Post a Comment