Monday, April 1, 2013


Day 31: CARS Review/ OUTLINE

Lesson Objective:

  • Review the three "moves" in an Academic Introduction
  • Read to identify the the moves in a sample introduction
  • Work to transfer our Lit Review Charts to an Outline


Part I: Review CARS (5 min)
To begin today's class, we briefly review the three common "moves" (i.e. parts) found in an introduction to a Research Paper. Then, I will have you work in pair to provide sample sentences that can be used in the three moves. Click here to access the LIT REVIEW LANGUAGE HANDOUT.


Part II: Read to find CARS (20 min) 
Click HERE to access the PowerPoint for this lecture that we discuses on Monday.We will pick up where we left off and read an adapted environmental engineering article that implicitly follows the CARS model. I will have your read it and identify the moves.
  • Pair Work:Can you think of sample sentences that could be used near the end of this introduction that would constitute as Move 3??


Part III: Workshop--Working On Move 1 (20 min)
How do we start our paper? click on the SAMPLE INTRODUCTION SENTENCES and we will analyze some first sentences so as to give us an idea of how to get started.

To end today's class, I would like us to get right into writing! Open up your charts from the last class and think about your topic again. What might be an appropriate Move 1 for your paper? Look to your LIT REVIEW CHART that we worked on in the last class to think of some ideas. Work to construct the first paragraph of your Literature Review according to Move 1. For assistance, I have placed a LIT REVIEW OUTLINE here that might help you to organize your ideas.


Homework: Continue to work on building a draft for your Literature Review. It is due on Monday 4/8 before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment