Friday, March 29, 2013

Day 30: CARS (Carving Out a Research Space)


Lesson Objectives
  • Review organizational patterns through filling out charts of sources
  • Read to identify CARS moves. 
  • Practice creating Move 3

Part I: Review Materials (5 min)
To warm up, discuss the following question in groups of three:
  1. According to the video, what are four ways that a literature review can be organized? 
  2. Can you think of other organizational methods? 
  3. What method do you think will work best for your topic?

Part II: Starting our Charts (15-20 min)
Using the charts that were distributed last week, or click HERE to access a digital copy, start to organize your annotations by placing them into the chart. I will circulate to provide assistance.  


Part III: Read to find CARS (20 min) 10:25-10:45
Click HERE to access the PowerPoint for this lecture where we review the moves and look to some common language features for each move. Ran out of time:  We will also be reading an adapted environmental engineering article that implicitly follows the CARS model. I will have your read it and identify the moves.

Part IV: Writing Move 3 (5 min)
Based on the introduction we just read, I will ask you to try and create a basic Move 3 using what we have learned about CARS.

Homework: Continue to work on organizing and writing your Literature Review. You should have enough information to begin Move 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment